When new players start playing Path of Exile, they usually play life based. When they finally see energy shield builds, they are entranced by it. Everyone considers energy shield overpowered but not many people recognize the downsides. Everyone wants to use it because all the wealthy players do. Energy Shield had a higher power ceiling and a lower floor. This is because your gear singlehandedly decides how much EHP you have. Below I have a short list of benefits of using energy shield.
- Can reach amounts of energy shield impossible to reach as life.
- Nodes can be picked up in the Witch/Shadow area of the tree, where life nodes are rare.
- Scaling energy shield with intelligence can also benefit your spell damage
- Possible to run auras on life.
- No use of life flasks.
- Vulnerable to chaos damage.
- Vulnerable to freeze and stun
- Hard to stack defenses like armor and evasion.
- Cannot use blood rage.
- Harder to cap resistances.
In essence, energy shield is much harder to play. You will never understand this fully until you play an energy shield build and it would be fruitless for me to try to explain further. If you have any questions about ES or life comment here and I will get back to you in a timely manner.
This is a quick write up on the unique item known as Cospri’s Malice. It is a very interesting item that can be used for a variety of builds.
Cospri’s Malice is a one handed sword that casts socketed cold spells on melee crit. The downsides this sword possesses are the high intelligence requirement and no physical damage. This means you want to be using this with a pure elemental skill. Cold skills in general are not very powerful so we will utilize the keywords Discharge is tagged with. Discharge is a very special spell because it deals damage based on the number and type of power, endurance, and frenzy charges you have. Even without any cold charges, Discharge is still tagged with ‘Cold Spell’ and therefore can be used with Cospri’s Malice even without any Cold Damage scaling on Discharge.
The damage benefits Cospri’s Malice provide are many. It gives you an insane 1.75 attack speed, 30% critical strike multiplier, free EE, and increased critical strike chance against chilled enemies. This will always be up as it innately does cold damage with attacks. Additionally, you can socket two support gems with discharge. In a Voll’s Protector you would be wasting 3 or more slots running COC, Discharge, and support gems such as Life Leech, and Increased AOE. You can run Discharge and the support gems inside the Cospri’s malice. This allows you to run a Crit attack skill in a full 6 link.
Uniques and Build
Some uniques you want to use with this are Voll’s Devotion, Death’s Door, and Voll’s Protector. I would build it as a CI assassin and there is a very nice guide on the official forums that you can find here.
Path of Exile Act 5 was recently confirmed to launch in 2017. It is assumed the act will launch in Spring or Summer 2017.
Although the new challenge leagues will start in December and only last 3 months, GGG had around 3-4 months of downtime between Talisman leagues and 2.0. During that downtime they had events such as a One-month Race.
Act Five will shorten the game into 2 difficulties (down from three) and make it 10 acts long before endgame.
Lastly, I apologize for the lack of content recently but it will definitely be pumped up in the coming days. Check back daily!
There are many defensive unique items you can use in your build. I will be listing a few of them below. These vary in price depending on the popularity of the builds they are mainly used in.
Bringer of Rain – This is one of the most iconic unique items in Path of Exile. When released, it gave you a 7 link, block, and 200+ life. It was then nerfed twice. It still remains one of the most power options for melee builds that utilize block. It’s only downside is that it doesn’t allow a chest to be worn.
Lightning Coil – Again, an iconic item of Path of Exile, this lets you take 30% of your physical damage as lightning damage (40% with legacy). Pair this with 75% lightning res or even more and you get a solid defensive chest to help mitigate physical damage. The only downside is – 60% lightning resistances but this can be made up for with other gear.
Rumi’s Concoction – This flask provides block and spell block as well as some armor. Many builds combine this with pathfinder, flask effect nodes, and a shield, to get maximum block. This means running one flask can give you 75% chance to not take damage per hit.
Taste of Hate – This is another great flask although it is quite expensive in new leagues. It provides a 20-30% more damage boost to your physical damage as well. This flask also allows you to take 20% (30% for legacy) of your physical damage as cold damage. This makes it a psuedo lightning coil that only takes up one flask spot. Paired with pathfinder and some flask effect nodes, it becomes godly.
Belly of the Beast – This chest gives 30%-40% increased maximum life. This is amazing when you have a lot of flat life on other gear to scale it. This chest also drops often and is quite cheap unlike some other options given in this article.
Kaom’s Heart – This is one of the most famous items in Path of Exile history. It’s legacy variant goes for more than any non-perfect unique has ever gone for. Even the nerfed version provides 500 life. This works well when you have a lot of life scaling in your tree. If you have 200%, easily achievable on a melee build, then Kaom’s Heart adds 1500 life.
Hey guys. Today, I will be talking about how I acquired a Mjolner and Volls Devotion within 10 hours of farming Dried Lake. As soon as the patch notes came out, I figured out that people would think Discharge useless. I then decided to go Mjolner as my first real build of the league.
I started off with a variant of Zizaran’s League Starting Firestorm. I then farmed dried lake till level 75 and did a couple maps along the way. This got me the bulk of my currency through all sorts of drops. I never got anything better than a chaos drop.
Throughout all of this, I had been heavily flipping currency using poe.trade. I sold all the currency I had into chaos and I flipped chaos orbs with Jews, Chroms and most importantly, fuses. At the time, fuses were at such a price that they would give you almost 10% profit per flip. This was mad. Through Farming and flipping I acquired atleast 20 chaos per hour in profit.
I had been buying Brittle Emperors for 18c because I knew Voll’s Devotion would be undervalued before big names started playing discharge. Through this, I farmed a Voll’s Devotion and Mjolner in no time.
Hey guys. I decided to make this guide for everyone trying to make some bank in Essence.
- List almost all rare items for an alteration – This is something that is overlooked a lot. I usually list all the rares with some resists or attributes for alterations on the first day. People underestimate how much you can make with this method but every little bit counts.
- Exalts – Exalt prices are cheap during the first couple of days and then they skyrocket . Look at Perandus and Prophecy SC. If you get an exalt drop, buy a 6l or a core unique you need for your build. If you need neither, save it. Do not sell exalts for chaos on the first day.
- This is more of a leveling tip but don’t get under-leveled while leveling. It took me 2 leagues to figure this out. Try to stay at a maximum of 2-4 levels under your zone. If you get five levels under, stay and farm at locations such as City of Sarn, Docks, Fellshrine, Ledge, and Dried Lake.
- Dried Lake – As soon as you get to a4 merciless, you must be farming it. Do not worry about progression beyond Dried Lake. Honestly, there is no point of killing Malachai in Merciless unless you want the achievement. You need to be doing the chaos recipe as many times as possible so you can acquire exalts before the price goes up. Start maps at level 75.
- Once you get your initial currency keep an eye on poe.trade. Things such as 3 tier 1 elemental weapons and evasion gear are listed for cheap because many people don’t recognize their value. Remember, there are insane amounts of players in the first two days, and half of them don’t know what they are doing.